Taken or Single We Help You Pair Hair Styles with Your Outfit!
Depending on your Valentine's Day/Weekend fashion, you'll want to make sure your hairstyle suits and completes your look! Thankfully, Mario Russo, owner & lead stylist at Salon Mario Russo in Boston has provided us with two lovely hairstyles for the night on the town, whether you're with a special love or happily single!
Taken & Textured Twist
An updated, loose & whimsical version of the Fresh Twist
1. Begin by spritzing day-old washed hair (yes it’s true, dirty hair styles better) with Oribe’s Dry Texturizing Spray for added texture before styling.
2. Using a fine-tooth comb, tease your hair at the crown, as well as the sides to achieve ultra-volume.
3. Gently pull all of your hair back and to the side, hold in place by securing with a line of bobby pins
4. Starting at the hair’s ends, begin rolling your locks into your preferred twist direction. Remember, this is a messy twist, so if strands fall out at the bottom and side, it will only add to the effortless look.
5. Continue rolling the hair until you reach the head. For extra volume and height, loosen strands from the crown while the twist is still unsecured.
6. Bobby pin the hair to your head using a crocheting pattern to avoid flattening the twist. This is when unwashed hair will help as the bobby pins won’t slip out as easily as they would in squeaky clean hair. Complete the look with Oribe’s Superfine Hair Spray to ensure long lasting hold and a shiny finish.
If you have a high collar dress and are going for more sophisticated, classy elegance, Mario Russo's tips for the Taken & Textured Twist is the perfect fit! Here are a few dress styles to compliment the Taken & Textured Twist.
Single & Sassy Tresses
Looking for a more flirty, soft style to suit a fun and single vibe? These "single & sassy tresses" are perfect for a night out with the single ladies!
1. Wash and condition your hair with a volumizing shampoo and conditioner such as Kerastase Volumactive Shampoo and Kerastase Volumactive Conditioner (these are great for adding volume)!
2. Generously spray a prep product, like Bumble and Bumble Tonic Lotion, and work through hair to prepare and detangle.
3. Blow dry your hair straight using a ceramic ion round brush.
4. Lightly mist your hair with Oribe Soft Lacquer Heat Styling Spray to lock in shine.
5. Section your hair into three or four sections, holding each in place with a clip.
6. Curl each section of hair with a 1 ¼ inch curling iron barrel.
7. To create some volume, back comb or tease the hair at the crown of your head.
8. Take a section of hair from each side of your face, pull it loosely to the side of your head, twisting it as you get to the back of your head. Secure hair at the bottom of the twist with a bobby pin.
9. Take that same section you just pinned and wrap it into a loose circle and secure it with a bobby pin (the trick is to hide the pin by weaving in and out of hair instead of just sticking it in).
10. Repeat the previous step, but with another section underneath and a little to the left of the first twist. Next, do the same with another section a little to the right.
11. Complete the look with a flexible hold hairspray like Bumble and Bumble Spray de Mode.
*image steps 1-5 are steps 7-11 in written instructions
What to wear with the single & sassy tresses? So many options! But here are a few flirty & fun styles for the Valentine's Celebrations:
Hair Tips & Photos provided by Salon Mario Russo
Mario Russo, Owner & Lead Stylist at Salon Mario Russo
Growing up in the small town of Formia, Italy, Mario had dreams of coming to America and making a life for himself. As a teenager, Mario’s family immigrated to the United States, where his passion for learning was nurtured by the endless possibilities of a new beginning. Fueled by a long-standing interest in engineering, his quest for knowledge took him to Northeastern University in Boston where Mario soon realized that his true career path was in the engineering of better hair. Flash forward 30 years; today, Mario Russo is a fixture within Boston’s style scene, owning and operating two eponymous salons in the city as well as his own bath and body product line.
As an industry leader, Mario is always looking to stay ahead of the trends, frequently traveling to Paris, London and New York City, to bring Bostonians the latest styling innovations. His appreciation for hair and belief in high-touch customer service enable Mario to offer the salons’ clientele a personal, sophisticated take on beauty that’s unmatched in Boston.
Last modified on
Please login first in order for you to submit comments