Lobster Tail Your Hair Like A Pro w/ These 8 Steps!
There is no denying that the fishtail braid had a great run; from the side to messy to in the ponytail, but Mario Russo, owner and lead stylist of Salon Mario Russo in Boston, believes it’s time for a new tail to have their chance in the spotlight. Cue the Lobster Tail. This messy and textured twist is easy to create and doesn’t even requiring braiding skills…just twisting! Depending on the occasion, the Lobster Tail can be as deconstructed or as neat as you like.
The Lobster Tail
1. Start with day-old hair to achieve the messy and textured look of this braid. Use a texturizing spray like Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray on the roots to eliminate any natural oils that can flatten hair.
2. Gather hair to one side, while leaving a few front pieces of hair out on the opposite. Curl these pieces with a 1-inch barrel to add more shape around the face.
3. Separate hair in half, a front and back section, and make three small sections out of the back section. Twist each one individually before joining all three to make one twist. Secure with a clip so you can work freely on the front section. Don’t worry if it untwists a little bit, you can re-twist later.
4. Take the front section, split into two small twisted sections and then combine to make one twist.
5. Join the front and back twists, make one complete twist and then secure with 5-6 bobby pins by ear. This will hold together the beginning of the twist.
6. Spray texturizing spray again on hair below the bobby pins to create fullness and then make two twists with this remaining hair and combine the two twists into one, twisting all the way down. Don’t twist too hard; let it be a little loose to give it more thickness and texture.
7. Before securing with hair tie, put bobby pins UP throughout the twist almost like a skeleton for the twist and then secure with hair tie. The pins will hold the twist in place.
8. Finish off with a light hair spray, such as Oribe Superfine Strong Hair Spray.
Last modified on
Please login first in order for you to submit comments