Arm & Hammer Baking Soda is a very simple ingredient almost everyone has in their home... it is either in your pantry, in your fridge, under your sink, or in your bathroom, just to name a few potential places. But this "simple" ingredient has a multitude of uses.
Arm & Hammer Baking Soda is Sodium bicarbonate / sodium hydrogen carbonate. The chemical compound with the formula NaHCO3, which is a natural chemical compound that appears as a fine powder. It releases bubbles of carbon dioxide when it interacts with a liquid.
It's most commonly used in baking, where it acts as a leavening agent when making breads, muffins and cookies soft and fluffy for example. So why am I writing about this amazing powder when I usually focus on beauty product and ingredients? Well I am sure you have put it together that baking soda can be used in many different beauty products.
Here are just a few for your beauty regiment:
1. You may have seen on your toothpaste that it is made with baking soda to help whiten your teeth.
2. Add some to your bath if you have dry itchy skin... It used to be known for it soothing effects of the chicken pox (when that was still an issue)
3. You can mix it with baby powder and apply a light dusting (using a powder puff or wash cloth) as your homemade deodorant
4. add 1/2 teaspoon to water and gargle- it can freshen your breath and relieve a minor sore throat.
5. Exfoliation - Mix it into a paste with a 1:1 ratio (adjust as needed) and create a natural scrub- You can use this on your face (NOT ANYWHERE NEAR THE EYES) I like to use it on my heals and feet, especially in the winter time. You create this paste as stated above, apply it to damp skin, gently massage it around your face, or body part of choice, rinse well with warm water, pat dry and then apply moisturizer as needed... It is gentle and effective.
6. itchy scalp? or need a homemade dry shampoo- mix a bit of Baking Soda in with your baby powder and apply it lightly to your hair on "off washing" days. It will help to absorb excess oil, and is a great dry shampoo. I Prefer to mix the baby powder and baking soda as a personal preference for scent and balance
7. You evidently can wash your hair with baking soda and rinse it with apple cider vinegar... this is meant to help clarify the hair of build up from your shampoo and conditioner... - Has anyone tried this? What do you think? Do you have color treated hair? I would love to hear about your experience!
Overall as you can see baking soda is a mineral with salt qualities in it. It is abrasive yet somewhat gentle. It has applications, for beauty, cleaning your home, cleaning your laundry, eliminating unwanted odors, and so much more...
There are a few products that I am NEVER out of in my house... these are my "Magic" go tos Baking Soda is definitely one of my top!
please comment and share your baking soda beauty secrets. I really want to know about the baking soda shampoo replacement...
have a great week.
Last modified on
Please login first in order for you to submit comments