Registered Dietitian Reveals the Best Foods to Eat This Summer
Forget the beach cover up, it is time to banish that belly for bikini season! Keren Gilbert MS, RD, a registered dietitian and certified nutritionist, believes that a diet rich in hydrophilic or “water-loving” foods is the key to tightening your tummy.
Founder and President of Decision Nutrition™, a nutrition consulting firm,
“Consuming water absorbent foods helps detoxify the body’s system,” notes Gilbert, Founder and President of Decision Nutrition™, a nutrition consulting firm. “Incorporating these foods into your diet will not only keep you feeling full longer, it will also help to curb your appetite. Not to mention, they will keep you feeling slim all summer long.”
Below is Gilbert’s list of the top foods to snack on this summer:
1) Chia Seeds: Once a staple food of the Aztecs, these little black seeds offer a high natural source of Omega-3s, which is proven to lower fattening stress hormones like cortisol. “Chia seeds are also rich in antioxidants, minerals, fiber and protein,” adds Gilbert. “They can easily be added to any meal; whether it is sprinkling on salads or veggies, or mixing them in yogurt, oatmeal, or shakes.”
2) Apricots: Replacing refined sugars (such as those found in white pasta or white rice), with carbohydrates from fruits will reward your waistline. Not only do apricots have high levels of antioxidants like Vitamin C and beta-carotene, the water-absorbing fiber helps you stay full and fends off belly fat.
3) Oatmeal: This tried and true breakfast dish is a favorite for a reason. Oatmeal contains soluble fiber, which means it attracts water and stays in your stomach longer. This helps reduce blood cholesterol by flushing bad digestive acids out of your system. “It is most beneficial to eat unsweetened oatmeal because the added sugars in sweetened oatmeal cancel out the health benefits,” says Gilbert. “Adding fresh berries or a little almond milk for added flavor is the best option.”
4) Broccoli: A highly nutritious green vegetable, broccoli is packed with vitamins and minerals and is very high in fiber. The vegetable is a great choice for those looking to slim down during the summer months as broccoli has enzymes that assist in digestion and metabolism.
5) Almonds: Almonds are high in monounsaturated fats and rich in the minerals magnesium and selenium, all of which have been shown to support adrenal function and boost metabolism. In addition, they keep you satisfied and full for a long time. “Be cautious of salted or smoked nuts which contain a lot of sodium as it can cause bloating,” warns Gilbert. “A handful of raw almonds a day will keep the belly fat away!”
BONUS - Almond Milk: A great alternative to milk and it contains belly flattening ingredients as well. For one, it does not have any lactose in it which makes it easier to digest. It contains a lot of Vitamin E which aids in detoxification. In addition, it has 1.5 grams of monounsaturated fatty acids, the good fat which helps burn fat around the abdomen.
For more tips Keren Gilbert's book The HD Diet is now available for preorder. Click HERE to get more info.